free design notes: 6.27.11

When I look at this kitchen, my first thought is “when can I move in?”. There’s really nothing I don’t love and oh how I wish I could flip the page of this Metropolitan Home image and see the rest of the house. *sigh*

What do you think? Are you bored with white cabinetry? Do you mind open shelves? Would love to know your thoughts!

Image: Elle Decor

Happy Monday!

Nyla

Comments (7)

Rosa @ Flutter Flutter Jun 27 2011 - 6:29 am Reply

White is always alright! It’s timeless. I’ve lived in a house from the early 1900′s, with the original painted white wood kitchen, and now live in a early 80′s house with a new white kitchen. Loved them both!

jane Jun 27 2011 - 2:01 pm Reply

Love it also. The mirror is a nice surprise and the surfaces are a nice mix. The only problem I see is that the stove is stuffed into a corner. I am not the cook in my family, but I know that my husband can only be part of the conversation when the stove is in the island. Nobody likes being stuck in a corner!

Nyla Jun 27 2011 - 3:14 pm Reply

That is a really great point about the stove Jane! My cooking skills have gone completely slack so not surprised I didn’t even pick up on that :)

Anita@dasaninteriors.com Jun 27 2011 - 5:05 pm Reply

I love white kitchens…classics always! Not a fan of the mirror being positioned over the sink area! But, that being said, I would try it. And I think it depends on how much room is on either side of the stove…I kind of like having it out of the way, but I don’t want to be cramped either! And open shelving is great, as long as their is ample storage for everything else!:)

Lori Spada Jun 27 2011 - 5:20 pm Reply

I love a white kitchen – a couple of houses back I had one and it was dreamy – very crisp and timeless. Bonus is you can easily change the feel with new accent pieces/colors. I love the look of open shelving but have so much “stuff” and am not nearly that neat so it wouldn’t work too well for me.

AJ Jun 27 2011 - 10:48 pm Reply

I generally love any color for a kitchen (as long as it is designed well!), and I definitely have no problem with white cabinets. I think open shelves can look nice, but my mother’s voice sounds in my head: “Think of the DUST!” That said, one or two can always look nice if you have well-coordinated dishes for them. And the mirror is a great idea!

Marion Aug 31 2011 - 4:28 am Reply

I don’t think that you can go wrong with modern or classic white cabinetry, but I do think that there is such a thing as just too much cabinetry. It sounds like a great storage solution, but aesthetically it starts to look like a locker room. I love the look of open shelves done well. I think they are supposed to look casual and relaxed, almost like you didn’t try too hard. Ironically though, to get that casual eclectic look, a lot of thought has to go into achieving it. Love the pictures you post overall.