before & after: family room makeover

Besides the kitchen, family rooms are the hub of the home and I believe a space where good design and functionality are able to live in a successful marriage of beautiful, family friendly furniture and fabrics. This room was feeling tired and ready for change. My client wanted a fresh feel all while using the existing teal velvet sofa and loveseat as well as the wall colour. I put together a palette of fabrics (see the family room sneak peek), using a mix of patterns and colour to liven up the room.

Family room before. The dog really liked the area carpet as you can see by the corner. Time for a new one! We originally intended to use the existing wood frame curved chairs but opted for new ones to achieve the right scale for the space.

Family room after. Fret work style drapery fabric from Schmacher in ivory and grey offers a much higher impact than the previous neutral solid pleats. New chairs in a classic style, upholstered in a modern speckled Designers Guild ultrasuede, ideal for easy maintenance.

New area carpet from Weavers Art, a gorgeous fresco pattern in muted colours of yellow, ivory, taupe and grey.

New art work by David Burdeny from Herringer Kiss Gallery adds a calming feel to the room, a perfect addition to this busy house but also holds sentimental value as the family has fond memories at this particular beach.

Details make a difference, especially on a coffee table. Close up shots of the table vignette and the punch of yellow is a perfect hit in small doses both here and in the Arteriors table lamp (shown above).

I love the soft mix of colour and pattern. It’s a stylish, comfortable and welcoming environment suited to lounging in front of the television, reading a book or gathering with friends.

Up next is a master bedroom re-vamp. We’ve just started ordering furniture so stay tuned for more!

Nyla Free Designs is a full service Calgary Interior Design studio. Our goal is to bring your home to life by revealing your style and infusing unexpected elements of design and detail. If we can help with your project please let us know! See the contact page to get in touch.

Nyla Free Designs also offers an online design service through Design in a Box.

Comments 11

1. You really brought life to that room! This is a perfect example of how the finishing touches like draperies, art, rugs, lamps and accessesories are required to make a room come to life. If you don’t go all the way you will never be happy with the end result! Lovely job!

2. Lovely Nyla! I love the mix of taupe and blue with just some pops of yellow. But I really love those drapes, they make the room sing!

3. oh nyla, fantastic! it is so bright and beautiful. i love that yellow punch from the lamp, and i also love how the curved turned base of the new floor lamp echos the curves in the drapery pattern. great job! what a lovely comfortable space.

4. Wow, Nyla, this room is gorgeous. You really filled it out and made it feel so much more liveable and confortable. I love the photograph you chose!

5. Love this room and the colour palette. How I wish I could hire you (I want those chairs)! I would love to get some sense of what it would cost to pull together a room like this (i.e. where you have some of the essential big ticket items like sofas, but need drapery, accents, chairs, rugs and the services of a designer) so I can start saving to hire you! I feel for many of us we admire these spaces but just feel they are out of reach when in reality they might not be, we just have no idea.

6. Looks amazing, Nyla! I love that drapery fabric and the room just seems a lot fresher.

7. Hi Nyla, Love the look of this room. Very fresh with some fun touches. Love the curtains and the yellow lamp. Just wondering where you found the inlaid boxes that are on the coffee table. Would love to get some for my own house. Thx!

8. Found them!

9. Stephanie Charest

Hi Nyla – that room turned out lovely! I have a question for you – where did you find that Weaver’s Art area rug in Calgary? I see they have showrooms in Toronto but not here. I have been looking for an area rug for my client for a while now, and see many on their website that look like they’d be perfect! But of course she doesn’t want to commit to anything until she sees it in her own house! Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

10. Which fabric is this for the curtains? It’s gorgeous!

Write a Comment