Ever been on the lookout for something special to add to your decor? Perhaps an item with history or a global vibe? Of course you have! Look no further than encaustic tiles. A ceramic tile, where coloured patterns are inlaid with a beeswax-based paint, fixed with heat. Dating back to the medieval ages, encaustic tilmix is easily into today’s modern and traditional decor, and because the colour is inlaid into the body of the tile, the pattern remains even if the tile is worn down. Bring a sense of history into your home. A little, will go a long way.
- Use as 1 or 2 as a trivet or hotplate.
- 5-7 work well as accents in a backsplash or fireplace surround
- A decorative hearth or fireplace surround of encaustic tiles is sure to had impact to a room
- create a permanent ‘area rug’ on the floor of a bathroom or front entry using 100 – 150 tiles
- a backsplash or wall niche would welcome a hit of pattern and colour
Poppytalk recently blogged about a kitchen with a clever use of encaustic tiles. Pop on over to get your creative juices flowing!
I found these gems at Traders of the Lost Art in Calgary. Items from years past are ready to be found and given new life in today’s decor. Keep your eyes peeled for antique shops, flea markets and tag sales to find your perfect treasure.
Nyla Free Designs is a full service Calgary Interior Design studio. Our goal is to bring your home to life by revealing your style and infusing unexpected elements of design and detail. If we can help with your project please let us know! See the contact page to get in touch.
Nyla Free Designs also offers an online design service through Design in a Box.