how to measure:
- sketch out the existing layout including the location of all windows, doors and closets.
- measure each wall, corner to corner. record the sizes and locations of all openings and built-ins (doorways, pass-throughs, built-in bookcases, etc).
- start at one corner of the room, measure the distance from the corner to the outside edge of the window casing; from there to the opposite edge of the window casing; and so on to the opposite corner.
- continue this process around the room and note the measurements on your drawing.
- ceiling height for each room
- location of all power outlets
- height of windows and doors
- location of windows on each wall
- location of any wall or ceiling lights
click image to enlarge