5 Tips for Outdoor Entertaining
When my girls were little I was "that mom". The one who made birthday parties an event. From invites to cake, to decor and party favours, everything was on theme. I love entertaining. Especially when I have time to decorate, buy flowers, set the table etc. which is a luxury I don't always have. Last weekend we hosted our oldest daughter's Sweet 16 birthday party. She requested a Luau, however I've had to take a back seat so SHE could plan her own party. I guess the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree...
There's just something about outdoor entertaining. Whether a birthday party, casual group of friends or family, or a large gathering for a special event, here are my top 5 tips for hosting a wonderful (and simple) outdoor get together.
1. Keep food simple. There's no need to serve a five course meal and better yet, serve food you can eat with your hands (sandwiches, burgers, veggies and dip, chips...) to avoid the use of utensils.
2. Create a 'Help Yourself' area for beverages. I like to use large planters or aluminum tubs filled with ice to house canned or bottled beverages. Placed throughout the backyard, this allows guests to help themselves to drinks and keeps you from running in and out of the house.
3. Create layers of mood lighting. As the sun sets you'll want illumination. Lanterns with candles, string lights, paper lanterns, or even an outdoor light fixture depending on your backyard layout are all great options to cast light on your outdoor party.
4. Bring fresh flowers to the table. While the outdoors can be filled with flowers and greens, why not add more to the table and special areas for decor.
5. Light a fire. The crackling sounds of a fire never get old. Whether with a fireplace or fire pit you'll create warmth as well as a light source with the glow of the flame. It'll also provide the option of making s'mores later into the evening.
Regardless of how old my girls are, I still love throwing parties of all kinds. Some are more extravagant than others but most of all, it's about the guests and sharing time with the special people in our lives.